Wednesday 10 January 2007

Epiphany and the sales!

So Epiphany in Florence is a big thing for the city. At 2.30 p.m. people started to assemble in the Piazza Pitti in Renaissance costume. There were peasants, musicians, lords and ladies all in remarkably detailed costumes. The most impressive were the 3 Kings who led the parade seated on beautiful horses. Each King had a servant in matching costume who held the gifts taken to baby Jesus on a cushion. Also brought out for the day were the two enormous oxen that normally pull the exploding cart at Easter. As the sun was shining everyone was in a really good mood and the parade was alot of fun. We walked through the crowds to the Duomo where prayers and speeches were made. To finish balloons were set free with messages attached from children to baby Jesus. The parade then re-started and taking a slightly different route, wound its way back to Piazza Pitti. At the head of the parade this time was Mary holding a baby and Joseph. Oh, I almost forgot the Shepherds in traditional Italian dress with their bagpipes!

The Flag throwers were also well represented in the parade - a number of times we had to duck as they enthusiastically threw their flags around!

As I haven't written since my first short post I thought I would make up for it on this one!

The sales have started here in Firenze. So far most reductions are about 30%. I have decided to play poker and wait for them to go lower! My reasoning is that if something goes at the higher price I'm not meant to have it anyway. So far I am waiting for a scarf to drop a little lower and a shoe shop to start its sale! I will let you know how I get on.

No comments: